It seems this medicine that may help me get better requires 6 months of treatment and not 2 like I thought. So that means at $2617 per month, it comes to a grand total of $15,702. Now I know many of you are thinking that there is no way I can raise that amount of cash and that I’m screwed…but I have a plan. I’m going to seduce an elderly oil tycoon. I’ll wait for him to die, inherit his money, and wallah..medicine. Seems I was worried for nothing.
It’s called Valcyte, It’s supposed to treat an underlying infection that may have caused the CFS in the first place. As far as Mexico goes…I’m not sure. I’d probably just get cough medicine in a gelcap anyhow.
single by choice…
I’ve tried many alternative medicines to no avail. There are some new things in the works, but they could be years away. I’m just glad they are starting to take the research seriously now.
As some of you may know, I suffer from a severe case of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Something that keeps me in bed most of the day and has prevented me from leaving the house except for doctor’s visits. I’ve been essentially housebound for nearly 5 years. I just don’t have the physical energy to go places. There aren’t any real treatments for Chronic Fatigue. Some people have been helped by treating the symptoms in various ways and when successful they were able to lead somewhat normal lives. I was not so lucky. I put myself in great debt trying pretty much anything that might help. Recently I discovered a new medicine that has had decent success helping people like me. They call this an “off label use” because it was not originally designed to treat CFS. And there is the problem. Insurance rarely covers off label uses of medicine. I thought if they didn’t cover the medicine it might be worth it just to pay for it myself. We asked the pharmacy how much it was. 2 months worth of pills would be $5300. That is over half what I get a year in disability. Before I learned this I really had my hopes up. Everything I read online about this medicine seemed quite promising. I fit all the variables perfectly. They had a very good success rate treating people like me in studies. I really thought this had a chance of at least improving my condition. But I don’t think I’ll know anytime soon. I don’t see any way of getting it. And asking someone to risk $5300 on something that may not help me at all…seems unlikely. After I heard the news in the doctor’s office today I found myself crying in an elevator, which I can say is a little embarrassing. So I’m back to waiting for someone in a lab somewhere to figure out how to fix me. It’s hard to find ways to keep going when all I get is bad news. I think I’m going to look at pictures of kittens for a while. Kittens always help. I don’t post a lot of serious stuff on my blog, but I really needed to vent. Sorry if I bummed you out any.